For the meatloaf
1 kilogram lean ground beef
1/2 cups panko breadcrumbs
1/3 cup whole milk
1 small yellow onion, grated on the large holes of a box grater
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons packed ight brown sugar
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
For the mashed potatoes
1 kilogram large potatoes, peeled and quartered
2 cups water
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup half-and-half
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Place the beef, breadcrumbs, milk, onion, egg, and salt in a large bowl. Mix with hands to gently combine until homogenous. Shape the mixture into a loaf, around 15 cm long and 10 cm wide, and set inside a 15 cm round cake pan; set aside.
- Place the potatoes, water, and salt in the Instant Pot insert and stir to combine. Place a trivet over the potatoes.
- Create a sling for the meatloaf pan by folding a 30 cm long piece of aluminium foil lengthwise into a 7,5 cm wide strip. Place the meatloaf pan in the center of the strip and then fold up the sides – there should be a 7 cm to 10 cm of overhang (handles) on either side.
- Place the meatloaf pan on top of the trivet into the Instant Pot. Seal the Instant Pot and set to MANUAL pressure on HIGH fro 35 minutes. While the the meatloaf is cooking, arrange a rack in the middle of the oven and heat to 200°C. Stir the ketchup, brown sugar, and mustard together in a small bowl to make the glaze.
- Let the Instat Pot relase pressure for 10 minutes when the cook time is over. Any remaining pressure, release manually. After opening the Instant Pot, use the foil sling to carefuilly remove the meatloaf. There will be a slight amount of fat and juice around the meatloaf, don’t worry if any drips into the mashed potatoes. Carefully drain off the fat and juice of the meatloaf. Brush the meatloaf with the glaze and bake until is caramelized and glossy, 8 to 10 minutes.
- While the meatloaf bakes, add the half-and-half and butter to the potatoes and mash to desired consistency. Slice the meatloaf and serve with mashed potatoes.