- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 medium onion (finely chopped)
- 1 stalk celery (finely chopped)
- 1 medium potato (white; peeled and cubed)
- 2 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth (fat-free, low-sodium)
- 2 cups milk (fat-free)
- 1 bag baby spinach
- Black pepper (freshly ground, to taste)
- Heat the oil in a large sauce pan or dutch oven.
- Sear the garlic, onion, celery, and potato for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and milk to the mixture. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in half the spinach, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Let it slightly cool. Pour the soup in a blender. Do it in two batches, if neccessary.
- Add the remaining spinach and blend until smooth. If working in batches, add half of the remaining spinach with each batch.
- Depending on the seasson, serve warm or cold.