- 150ml whole milk
- 1½ tablespoon plain flour
- 400g Irish cheddar cheese, grated
- 160g breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon English mustard powder
- 120ml stout
- 2 free-range eggs, yolks only
- 4 spring onions, finely chopped
- 6 slices toasted soda bread
- Pour milk in a saucepan, warm the milk, and whisk in the flour. Keep stirring until the milk starts boiling. Reduce the heat to a simmer. The milk should thicken slightly.
- Add the cheese and stir over a low heat until it has melted. Add the breadcrumbs, stout and mustard. Continue stirring until the mixture comes together; It should leave the sides of the pan.
- Remove from the heat and tip into a bowl, leave to cool slightly. Once cooled add the egg yolks and beat vigorously with a wooden or plastic spoon until the egg is thoroughly mixed in. Add the chopped spring onions.
- Spread the rarebit on toasted soda bread and place under a hot grill until bubbling and golden-brown.
Please follow and like us: